Since 2015 Hiccup Circus Uganda works together with primary and secondary schools managing Circus Clubs and Circus Workshops. Sessions are suitable for up to 18/20 participants, last in about one hour and are conducted by 2 experienced HCU members to ensure that everyone has a wonderful, safe and fun yet challenging, experience.
Circus in Schools program is set out in a fun way and is a mix of the following components:
- Acrobatics and tumbling
- Group Games
- Partner and group acrobatics
The outcomes for this activities are a wide range of benefits for pupils physical and psycho-social development:
- Provides a motivating and exciting experience
- Increases positive risk taking in a safe and supported environment
- Promotes physical health and body awareness
- Enables participants to acquire broadened circus skills and more generic ‘life skills
- Increases self-confidence and self-efficacy
- Improves social connectedness, teamwork, and leadership skills within the group
- Provides a rhythmic activities, sensory feedback, balance, and coordination
- Creates a space in which participants feel a sense of belonging
These “soft” skills can be difficult to define, teach and standardize, but they are critical. Young people need more than the “hard” skills of the traditional workplace. They also need confidence and the ability to deal with the challenges of everyday life.
HCU would like to spread circus arts all over Uganda and allow its member to have an extra income. More information at: firstname.lastname@example.org